We are currently reading submissions. If you would like to be considered for our relaunch issue, please submit by January 15th.
Follow the guidelines carefully or we may not consider your work.
- Attach as a Word document and title the file as follows: Last Name_Genre
- Include a third person bio of 150 words or less in the body of the email. A cover letter isn’t necessary, though it’s always appreciated.
- Email all prose submissions to RandomProseEditor@gmail.com and title the subject line as follows: Last Name_Genre (fiction, nonfiction, etc).
- No more than one piece per submission. Must be less than 3000 words. Double spaced, 12-point, Times New Roman or Times typeface.
- Email all flash submissions to RandomProseEditor@gmail.com and title the subject line as follows: Last Name_Genre (flash-fiction, flash-nonfiction, etc).
- No more than 1000 words per piece. Submit as many as you wish as long as they do not go over 3000 words total. Double spaced, 12-point, Times New Roman or Times typeface.
- Email all poetry submissions to RandomPoetryEditor@gmail.com and title the subject line as follows: Last Name_Genre (poetry, fiction, nonfiction, etc).
- Submit up to five poems, all poems on the same Word document, each poem on its own page. 12-point, Times New Roman or Times typeface. Format your work as you wish it to be read.
- Email all art submission to RandomArtCurator@gmail.com and title the subject line as follows: Last Name_Art.
- CMYK, 300 dpi, JPEG format. Send up to ten pieces. Include an artist’s statement and third person bio in the body of the email.
Submissions are accepted year-round, though we read during the summer and winter months. We endeavor to publish four issues a year and strive to return submissions as soon as possible. Please feel free to shoot us an email if you haven’t heard from us in a while.
While we prefer unpublished work, we will consider work that has been previously published. If you are submitting something that has been published elsewhere, please let us know when and where it was published in the body of the email.
We do accept simultaneous submissions.
Only one submission at a time, please. If your work is not accepted, please wait three months before submitting again.
Random Young Writers Series
We are excited to offer writers in the very beginning stages of their career an opportunity to publish their work. Writers 20 years of age and under are eligible. Chosen pieces will work closely with editors to polish their work, then will be published in issues alongside both emerging and established writers. Please follow the guidelines above when submitting your work. In the email, please also include your age and interest in publishing as a Random Young Writer.
We publish four issues a year. If you receive an acceptance, you will also receive a follow-up notification when your work goes live.
Please note that submission of work to Random Sample gives us the right to publish the work on this website and in future anthologies if we choose. Writers and artists retain copyright over their works and are welcome to publish elsewhere three months after publication on Random Sample as long as Random Sample is cited as the original publisher.
We regret that we are not able to pay at this time, though we hope to be able to do so in the future.
If possible, please report Random Sample’s submission data to Duotrope. It is an indispensable tool for writers and publishers alike, and we hope to bring it full circle.